Wednesday, August 23, 2017

Shoes

I went walking along the beach trying to find you,
The trials and burdens of this life heavy as the fog clinging to the shore.

I found your shoes by a driftwood shelter
Mockingly standing guard at a life you lived while I was trudging.

The sand seems to ever lay me down, slow me, tire me.
You come running as if oblivious of the dense, sinking sand.

Life shrouding your sure and confident body with uplifted butterfly wings.
Mommy!  Mommy!! Come quick!!  See what I found!!

You flitter close, then turn and run away
In excitement
In eagerness

I will get there my Love-- I am coming.
I fear I will evermore be too late, your shoes outgrown when I arrive
But I always, faithfully, am trudging to you Love, 
Bringing remnants of your past 
Silently bearing witness to the you You used to be, 
Back when I picked up your shoes

No comments:

Post a Comment