Yet he still hummed. His tune echoed the music, but the words ceased to exist on his lips. The words were utterly lost to him, but he knew the love of the music, the melody in his heart, and so, he carried on.
That moment in time carried me to another space, another time. A time in which my heart sang out the music of overwhelming emotion, needing words but my lips could not form them. A bit ago, my beloved grandfather was in hospital. Leaving his room after my first visit, I felt a shadow clawing, I knew there was something written in the stars and it wouldn't go well for me, for him, for my family. A few days later, that gnawing feeling I had been running from, ignoring out of fear, came to pass. I arrived at hospital with my grandmother only to learn that today was the appointed day no one had known about, Gramps would leave this world. It was such an agonizing and joy-filled space. Beth Moore, a Christian devotional author, in her study on the Book of James, alluded that you cannot have anguish without corresponding joy, that the pain of labor is always followed by a birth of something. We were in that space, and it was beautiful. I stood, as one of many, surrounding my grandmother and grandfather as they drew their last joint breaths, there to fight through all the emotions that come from the new anguish of loss together, united. I did not have that particular pleasure with my own father when he passed away just months before. Gramps had half the equation right; he died surrounded by loved ones, lifted on the prayers of saints. But Dad got it half right as well; he was peaceful, at home, in his own bed. Sometimes, two halves don't make a whole. And I was fully aware of all this weighty knowledge standing with my grandmother, my aunts and my uncles, with my Gramps... and my heart broke and the falling pieces sounded a tune my heart knew, but my lips couldn't utter.
Come though fount of every blessing
Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Streams of mercy, never ceasing
Call for songs of loudest praise
Teach me some melodious sonnet
Sung by flaming tongues above.
Praise the mount, I'm fixed upon it
Mount of Thy unchanging love.
"But now I understood that, although words were God's first creation, silence was closer to His divine spirit, and that prayers given in silence were infinitely greater than the thousands of words men might offer up to heaven." -Alice Hoffman, The Dovekeepers
"The heart knows its own bitterness and joy; he will not share these with strangers." (WEB)
There are things in this life to be pondered and treasured up in the heart. Things that aren't shared, cannot be. These are things which live in the space of poetry and art and music and tears. Things that cannot be explained, only felt. Heraclitus said that no one can step into the same river twice for the river is never the same, nor is the man. I am not the same person who used to write about the mundane and sanctified actions of changing diapers, hanging laundry, weeding a garden while a babe sleeps in the shade of an olive tree. I have not known mundane, or the consecration of it, in too long. Everything seems to be upheaval, turmoil, a constant battle against the powers and principalities, against my own demons and myself. So I found myself here. I have a different timbre to my voice, words that are so unfamiliar and yet so tightly woven into the fabric of my being that I cannot dismiss them. They are my own utterances, my own unfamiliar groanings.
This, this humble blog, is my space to find my new rhythm, the new purpose for my ever cracking and terribly pitchy voice. My space to remember that anguish and joy can and will go hand-in-hand if I let them, and that art and poetry and hallowed will be that very intersections within my heart. My space to remember that even hope has an unnamed space, a sanctuary all it's own.
Much like my son, who persevered in his song, even when the words failed him, this is my new place to persevere, even when words fail me.
"Hope" is the thing with feathers-
That perches in the soul-
And sings the tune without the words-
And never stops- at all-
And sweetest- in the Gale- is heard-
And sore must be the storm-
That could abash the little Bird
That kept so many warm-
I've heard it in the chillest land-
And on the strangest Sea-
Yet, never, in Extremity,
It asked a crumb- of Me.
-Emily Dickinson-
No comments:
Post a Comment